One Big Adventure
An opportunity to log in some of the thoughts and activities of our homeschooling family of eight. We love books and good food and aspire to a Christ-centered, multi-generational, agrarian life.

Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day

A long time ago, when I was still single, I went to a little concert at a church. I think the folks who sang were Steve and Annie Chapman and their two children. But I am not sure.

The most memorable part of the evening for me was when Annie told the story of growing up on a dairy farm. I don't remember all the story actually. What I do remember is her telling about how her dad kept them all very busy. She said that on Labor Day every year her dad would celebrate by cleaning out and scrubbing and whitewashing EVERYTHING on the farm. He thought that to celebrate Labor Day they should LABOR!

Today to celebrate Labor Day, we worked around the homestead here. Catching up on things we haven't had time for since we started back to the academic part of school and Vern started back to work. Vern and Owen did some extra outside things--grading, cleaning up the line so we can, hopefully, think more about fencing, burning piles of brush. The girls and I did some extra inside things.

We didn't get everything scrubbed and whitewashed.

What did you do for Labor Day?

No comments: