One Big Adventure
An opportunity to log in some of the thoughts and activities of our homeschooling family of eight. We love books and good food and aspire to a Christ-centered, multi-generational, agrarian life.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Preserving the Harvest: Poblano Peppers

Momma planted poblano peppers this year and we were looking for recipes to use our abundunt crop of peppers. When I googled recipes for chile rellanos, I found this website. There is a whole bunch of recipes that we'll probably try out. With our first peppers, I made a version of chile rellanos. They were pretty good, but the onions were rather crunchy. Then a couple of weeks ago, we needed a quick dinner and Momma suggested I make chile rellanos again. So I ran out to the garden and picked about 2 1/2 dozen peppers and thought 'I won't bother finding gloves, after all, 'a certain someone' said that I wouldn't need gloves for poblanos!' By the time I blanched the peppers, my fingers were killing me! Dinner was good though and I tried sauteing the onions and added some other things to the recipe. Later I did learn many different things to try for peppers burns. Although in the end, ice water was the only thing that cut the burn.

The other day, I picked all the poblano peppers and seeded them (believe me, I wore gloves). Blanched and put them on cookie sheets and put them in the freezer. The next morning I pulled the cookie sheets out and filled gallon bags with the peppers. We ended up with a total of 4 1/2 gallons of peppers. So I'm hoping that all these peppers will about 9 meals worth of chile rellanos.

Hannah

No comments: