One Big Adventure
An opportunity to log in some of the thoughts and activities of our homeschooling family of eight. We love books and good food and aspire to a Christ-centered, multi-generational, agrarian life.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The stars of the sky

It is a wonderful thing to live in the country. It is delightful to see children grow up in a rural setting. There are so many wonderful lessons here... for them and for me too.

The other night, we had arrived home from working on our land, preparing our new home to live in. We had unloaded the children from the van and everything and everyone was inside, except Owen. I looked out to seem him staring at the sky, studying the heavens. He was motionless, which usually only happens when he is sleeping.

I walked out to where he was, put my arm around his shoulder and squeezed him with a hug. He responded by putting his arm around my waist and hugging me back. But he still stared up at the sky. I looked up with him, waiting. Grateful for an 11-year-old son who is loving and affectionate--not embarrassed to be hugged by nor to hug his Momma.

Then he spoke. "Momma. It's really neat to look at the stars out here. The more I look and try to count them, the more I see to count."

So I looked with him for a time, peering in to a very small part of the heavens, counting stars. Before I could count them all, more appeared behind them... and behind them. In a very short time, there were far too many stars to count. Soon after that, there were too many to see individually as they just kept appearing in clusters.

As we turned to walk to the house, we talked of Abram and how he had tried to count the stars. We wondered if, perhaps, we had counted some of the same stars he counted.

"Then He brought him outside and said, 'Look now toward heaven, and count
the stars if you are able to number them.' And He said to him, "So shall
your descendants be." And he believed the Lord, and He accounted it to him
for righteousness." Genesis 15:5,6

No comments: